Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Internet Explorer 7 and 8 causing C:\$MFT Error

On two occasions now I have been encountering problems with my lap top after allowing Windows Update to install critical updates in the form of IE 7. Both IE versions have great interface and options to use for any frequent web surfer, but it was the second time after trying the new IE 8 that the same problem cropped up again which led to question the stability of the web browsers.

What happens is that after rebooting the system you end up getting this annoying message that 'C:\$MFT is corrupt', and any attempts to use the System Restore becomes a futile exercise as it does not work. The error message keeps suggesting that you carry out the maintenance using CHKDSK, an option that is not a good one for me as I have a dual-boot OSes of OpenSuse 10.3 and Windows XP.

Initially the thought was that I had corrupted my boot sector, or even worse, about to crash my hard drive. Searching the Microsoft site did not provide me with any solutions, nor other forums elsewhere.

But I did discover the best solution to the problem – simply remove the IE versions using their uninstaller programme through the 'Add and Remove Programs' feature, and migrate to Mozilla Firefox or Opera which have equally and more better features. Or get stuck with IE 6 that is still dependable but a dinosaur in the arena of web browsers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cloud computing will be a gold mine in the post-COVID era

Companies needed to embrace change as the COVID-19 pandemic brought new challenges and continues to have a multi-sector impact on nations, b...